8A-Women-and-Technology-Can-Equal-Success

That’s the question I’m faced with here.  Just jumping in with some post about technology is what I’m more inclined to do.  However, the English teacher in me keeps repeating “All writing needs some type of introduction,” and I suppose a blog does as well.  So here are the facts:

What I do for my “real” job:  Teach college composition, British literature, and business English to high school juniors and seniors.

Classroom Technology:  I inherited a cart of Mac Books from my predecessor, which, pardon the cliche, has changed everything about how I teach.  I also use my iPad often for modeling and lecturing.

My own technology:  An old white MacBook that I’ve had so long there are claw marks in the keys–particularly e, r, and t. (See the image–it reminds me of the commercial with the owl and the
Tootsie Roll lollipop.  Instead, how many keystrokes does it take to get to the middle of a MacBook?)  A year ago, I earned an iPad through a Perkins Grant, which I use nearly every day in at least one of my classes.

LMS:  I use the Google suite intensely, Schoology sparingly.  (I don’t use Google classroom [yet], though I’m open to the prospect as the good folk at Google develop it more!)

Other favorite webtools:  WriterKey for extremely specific feedback to writing, Common Curriculum for slick lesson planning, and PearDeck for interactive lectures that have revolutionized my teaching this year.  (Am I hyperbolizing with the word “revolutionized”?  Perhaps.  But not much.)

What I do for my “wannabe” job:  I write.  Fiction, mainly, though some non-fiction, too.  Sometimes I get published.  Occasionally I get paid.  I’m not good at balancing writing and teaching and will go into hyperdrive with one or the other.  It’s the way I live.

Future goals:  Finish my masters degree in instructional technology  (I also have a masters in writing).  Motivate my colleagues to take advantage of our GAFE school status.  Develop and present more workshops in classroom technology.  And someday, ascend to educational technology heaven, AKA the Google Teacher Academy.