The TalentLMS blog has created a fabulous new infographic about the top ten e-learning trends to follow in the coming year.  While all are fascinating, three stand out as my favorites:

Gamification

Gamification has been smoking hot this year and getting only hotter.  I’ve been reading more on it the past weeks (see Alice Keeler’s fantastic posts about gamification, including this one about getting started.  I do some low-level gamification in my room–oddly, perhaps, it’s not at all technology based but solely based on student improvement of previous vocab/grammar scores.  How much do I want to use in my own room?  I’m not sure.  What I am sure is there’s a place for it.  That’s one of my goals for this year:  Research gamification.

Personalization

Differentiation has become a hot button issue–many love it, many debate its logistics.  Do I differentiate?  Not enough.  I allow all kids of student choice, but I know there could be more.  The question is how to manage it while still maintaining my sanity.  Technology will decidedly play a role in this, but so will lots of forefront planning.  And perhaps the next trend plays into that.

Automation

Here’s one way differentiation could work:  Automation of course creation.  This seems like an impossible accomplishment for the most advanced technology right now.  Sure, I use diagnostic tests online for grammar to help me and students select what grammar topics to study next.  This, however, seems to be taking the next step.  Lower levels of Bloom’s Taxonomy might be conquerable with automation, but measuring critical thinking?  I’m not sure.  Still, this trend is definitely worth watching.

Want to know the other seven trends?  Check them out:  http://blog.talentlms.com/elearning-trends-follow-2015-infographic/