Technology Pursuit

Blending Technology Into the Language Arts Classroom

Superfight: An Introduction to Argumentation

Need an engaging, (almost) guaranteed way to introduce argument to students that they’ll enjoy?

My answer to you is Superfight.

I’ve been using the game for a couple of years now, and it’s a playful, non-threatening way to venture into argumentation. I used it as a vehicle to teach the vocabulary of claim, evidence, reasoning, but not have to worry about research (yet–that was the next writing to come.)

Since I used the unit as a final project for a class last semester, I’ll just post that slidedeck below. Also, you can find it linked here if you’d rather look at it that way.

Any questions? Comment below. Gotta question you need answered today?! Email me at mpilakowski@vcsbadger.net

1 Comment

1. Hi Melissa,

this looks fantastic. I am not an educator per se, but I am very interested in understand initiatives in the education sector that seek to develop the intellectual toolkit children need in order to identify poor argument and evidence for propositions. It is my view that there may be well organised efforts in some circles to remove clear thinking and argumentation from the classroom in order to diminish their critical faculties and make them less likely to identify when they are being indoctrinated into some kind of dogma or distortions of reality in the name of some political or religious agenda.
    I would love to know more about your program and its positive impact on students.