Technology Pursuit

Blending Technology Into the Language Arts Classroom

4 Reasons to Play Gone Home in the Classroom

You’ve returned from a year abroad to your family’s new house in the Pacific Northwest. There’s no one to meet you at the airport, and when you finally find the hidden key into the house–there’s no one home. Slowly, you find your way through this old house that once belonged to your strange uncle, but there’s no sign of your parents or sister.

What you do find are televisions left on, boxes of your family’s belongings, and dozens of clues for you to piece together the story of where your family had gone.

Welcome home. Gone Home, that is.

Debuting in 2013, Gone Home gained acclaim for its story development as a digital narrative set in the late 1990s. Players attempt to solve the disappearance of Katie’s family by examining artifacts such as journal entries, business letters, and newspaper articles while experiencing the ominous feel that we’ve all felt of being alone in an unfamiliar place at night.

English teacher Paul Darvasi recognized the potential of using Gone Home as a digital text and used it to teach close reading, literary devices such as allusion and mood, and writing critical narratives. (Read more about Paul’s unit here.) And now, he’s sharing his experience by helping lead a Gone Home game study on Participate! Paul and fellow teacher-gamer Jon Spike lead the discussion board and join in Thursday afternoon Twitch streams, where Mike Washburn and Steve Isaacs try their hand at the game.

Still not sure whether the game is right for your classroom? Here are four reasons why Gone Home is the next great text for your curriculum.

1. Teaching inferences and conclusions. The game is filled with texts for students to read, and every text contains some clue or background that helps you solve the mystery. It’s impossible to play the game and not make inferences! Also, reading goes beyond textual analysis; the game contains many visual and audio clues that players have to consider when solving the mystery.

2. Students need to read multi-media texts. Face it–our world is changing, and the need for students to be proficient digital readers grows every year. More than ever, this generation needs to critically “read” photographs, videos, audio, social media posts, memes, movies, video games–the list is endless and becoming longer. Gone Home is an experience that allows students to use their literacy skills to critically analyze and evaluate Gone Home both as a narrative and as a video game.

3. Promotes LBGTQ stories. Not only is Gone Home a mystery, but it also includes an LBGTQ storyline, which is a huge bonus given the dearth of LBGTQ texts currently on our classroom bookshelves. While there has been some growth in LBGTQ stories in recent years, we need to continue providing more texts like these for our students.

4. Encourages academic conversation. As students play, either side-by-side or in small groups on a single device, conversation naturally grows. At first, group dialogue focuses on how to get into the house and where to go next, but as students examine the artifacts, they become detectives. They analyze and debate about what texts mean, and they reread documents to make sure they’ve gleaned every important detail. Sometimes guiding students to have academic conversations can be tough, but these conversations evolve organically while playing Gone Home

No doubt there are more reasons to play Gone Home. Pop on over to the Gone Home game study discussion board with your comments and questions!

14 Comments

1. CRYPTO RECOVERY SERVICES THROUGH ULTIMATE HACKER JERRY.

I recommend this highly reputable Recovery company Ultimate Hacker Jerry, to anyone in need to recover lost money in the form of Crypto lost to online fraudsters, wallet hackers, or BTC sent to incorrect addresses. After just submitting my case to the Expert and providing the required information, Ultimate Hacker Jerry did an amazing job of aiding me in getting my BTC back . I’m relieved that I was able to make this much of a recovery after losing even more to the fictitious broker I first trusted and invested with. We can never be diligent enough because mistakes are inevitable. Anyone who has fallen a victim to Losing funds to Crypto Scams, I persuade you to contact Ultimate Hacker Jerry.

Mail;Ultimatehackerjerry@seznam. cz)

Learn more;https://ultimateshackjerry.com/

WhatsaPP; +1(520)2827151.

2. I was losing money from my company’s accounts and was not able to trace where the money was going or tell who the culprit was. I reached out to my brother and he suggested that I contact Software Specialist, a hacker who he had worked with and helped him recover bitcoin he lost in an investment Scam and assured me that he will definitely catch the culprit. I contacted him on MARKWIZARD@SOLUTION4U.COM. I gave him the necessary details that he requested and to my surprise, he got all the information I needed in 24 hours. I found out the culprit was one of my employees who has been stealing money from the company’s account for the past 3 years. I never imagined myself in such a situation but I’m truly grateful for the services of Mark Wizard Recovery Solution, a Software Specialist who was able to help me identify who was stealing money from my company’s account. With this information, I was able to report it to the authorities with evidence of his involvement. Am really grateful for his services.

3. Are you seriously aiming on winning the lottery this season? Don’t make it look hard for you. Reach out to Dr Ozigidon for his undisputed powerful Lottery Spell and make your dreams come true.

I admitted that life is all about sacrifice to make dreams come true. I realized this after winning the sum of $310.5 million. Yes! A whopping sum of 310.5 million dollars in 2018. Though It seems like yesterday because after all these years of being a winner of a multi-million dollar lottery it still refreshes in my head. My name is Julie Leach. All thanks to Dr Ozigidon because with his undisputed powerful spell everything came so easy, it wasn’t by luck or chance that i won the lottery. With Dr Ozigidon powerful spell, my dream came true. He is popularly known for his active spell. ”If I had been told I would be a multi-million winner overnight I guess I would have doubted it but Dr Ozigidon made it so easy., contact Dr Ozigidon at [drozigidonhenz.spell.net@gmail.com]. Winning the lottery is truly beyond the physical and most people are yet to realize this. I have been so grateful to Dr Ozigidon everyday for the past years. Thanks to this powerful sorcerer. His Telegram: @OzigidonSpell

4. Be careful of people asking for your money or investment platforms promising huge returns. They lure victims into fake programs. I was scammed of 398,450 U S D. While researching on how to recover my funds, I came across several recommendations on Bitcoin Abuse Forum about RecoveryChef. I contacted him via his email on recoverychef@techie. com and he helped me recover my stolen funds. If you’ve also been a victim, don’t hesitate to get in touch with him.

5. ELIZABETH DAVIDSON

November 18, 2023 at 1:10 pm

THE REAL CRYPTO/BITCOIN RECOVERY AGENT

I was scammed over ( $98,900) by someone I met online on a fake investment project. I started searching for help legally to recover my money and I came across a lot of Testimonies about ETHICREFINANCE Recovery Expects. I contacted them providing the necessary information’s and it took the experts about 27hours to locate and help recover my stolen funds. I am so relieved and the best part was, the scammer was located and arrested by local authorities in his region. I hope this help as many out there who are victims and have lost to these fake online investment scammers. I strongly recommend their professional services for assistance with swift and efficient recovery. They can reached through the link below.
    Email Address: ethicsrefinance@gmail.com
    WHATSAPP :+1 (719) 642-8467

6. Hello, my name is Paul Kevin It is a pleasure to introduce Mr. Damian loan company to Everybody, I finally got a loan after fulfilling all the necessary requirements, contact this (WhatsApp) number +918131851434 sumitihomelend@gmail.com
    Regards

7. William Stoughton

January 12, 2024 at 1:09 am

Hello world! Permit me to discuss how, Cyber Genie Hack Pro team assisted me in getting my forgotten crypto wallet access back. Losing access to my wallet was traumatizing and heartbreaking to my household because it was a joint wallet where I and my partner decided to save for the future instead of using all these ridiculous financial banks in the USA controlled by the Matrix.  Our precious crypto savings were on the verge of vanishing before our very before. If there is one thing I am forever grateful for in 2024 is my encounter with Cyber Genie’s team. These guys didn’t even let me explain my task fully, how they delved into getting solutions for me to access my crypto wallet back still wows me and my partner. There’s no better way to start the new year than with the best tech team ensuring my family’s data are safe on the internet. If you have any important query related to crypto funds recovery, don’t hesitate to find them on: 
    WEB:  (https ://) cy bergeniehackpro (.) xyz/
    W/A:  +’1’2’5’2’5’1’2’0’3’9’1′
    TELLEGRAM: “cyb ergeniehackpro”

8. I have always liked the notion of investing in cryptocurrencies, though it happens I didn’t follow the correct procedures and this made me ending up to lose all of my money 205,000 USD to a phony site, pig Slaughtering scheme that made fraudulent bitcoin investments. I was duped out of my hard-earned money after falling for a bitcoin investment scam because I failed to conduct thorough research on this kind of investment. I tried everything to get my money back, but I was unable to do so. I tried bringing my case forward to the authorities but they were unable to assist me until I learned about Software Specialist Services, a cryptocurrency recovery Agent that has assisted a quite number of victims that have been scammed in getting their money back. Since I did not want to fall victim once again, I did my own research because I could not just believe on the testimonials given to people, I did not know. Once I got satisfied with my research, I got in touch with him right away and gave him all the information he required to support his inquiry. My cryptocurrency funds were recovered, and softwarespecialist@usa.com was able to trace and recover my funds from these investment schemers. I sincerely appreciate his dependable and competent assistance. The most effective method for getting your blocked money and cryptocurrency back is contacting Software Specialist on his WhatsApp No: +1 (646) 509-9630 and believe me you will be grateful for contacting him.

9. HOW TO FIND A LEGITIMATE CRYPTO RECOVERY COMPANY / CONTACT OMEGA CRYPTO RECOVERY HACKER

Choosing a legitimate crypto recovery company is crucial in the crypto market, which is vulnerable to scams and fraudulent activities. Working with an illegitimate company can lead to further loss of assets and personal information. Omega Crypto Recovery Hacker’s legitimacy and success in the field of crypto recovery make them a reliable choice for those in need of their services.

OMEGA CRYPTO RECOVERY SPECIALIST.
    How can I contact a legit Cryptocurrency Recovery Hacker?.
    How to Hire a Hacker to Recover Stolen Crypto/Bitcoin?.
    Hacker for Hire – Omega Crypto Recovery Hacker.

Website; omegarecoveryspecialist .c om
    On Whatsap; +1 (701, 660 (04 75
    Mail; omegaCryptos@consultant .c om

10. I’m glad I found Redeemed Hacker Pro, an honest fund/crypto recovery company. Their team of professionals was able to retrieve my crypto that had been stolen from a forex trader who had deceived me by saying I would receive a 35% return on my investment. I was able to receive all of my cryptocurrency back after writing to this team about my situation in less than 24 hours. I was overjoyed because I had thought all hope had been lost after being duped. I highly recommend them with full confidence. File a complaint to this company to get your stolen cryptocurrency and other digital assets back. In addition, he can help you get back on more profitable trading platforms, recover forgotten or lost cryptocurrency wallet passwords, and protect you from extortionists. Speak with the actual deal at Email: redeemed.h.p. @consultant.com 
    Website: redeemedhackerpro.wixsite.com/redeem-hacker-pro.

11. Best Crypto Recovery’s Experts I ever know is SPYHOST CYBER SECURITY COMPANY. My experience of online scamming took seconds and cost me thousands. I was fooled by a YouTube video that convinced me that I could make a killing in Crypto, and the minute I clicked the link and deposited funds, I knew something was up, but it was too late. I worked with SPYHOST CYBER SECURITY COMPANY, and they were so helpful and supportive, and in the end, it took a 24hrs , I got almost all of the money back. It wouldn’t have been possible for me to meet up economically because I almost invested all my money but all thanks to Spyhost cyber service with their genius effort to help me recover my already stolen currency.Incase you are a victim of such predicament Please ensure also to reach out to them for help via email: (Spyhost@cyberdude.com).

12. Juaanna Kalistat

March 8, 2024 at 11:39 am

When it comes to recovering lost or inaccessible Bitcoin, Jeanson James Ancheta wizard is like the internet equivalent of Harry Potter—it always comes through for the good guys. It’s a strong tool made to assist users in getting back access to their digital treasure troves as quickly and easily as feasible. Losing access to your Bitcoin comes with a whole slew of risks and challenges. Apart from the obvious financial loss, there’s the frustration of knowing you can’t tap into your digital fortune when you could really use it. Plus, there are always opportunistic hackers lurking around, waiting for a chance to pounce on an inaccessible Bitcoin wallet. It’s like leaving the back door wide open for digital thieves. With all the tools required to recover your lost or unreachable Bitcoin, Jeanson James Ancheta wizard is like having your very own digital knight in dazzling armor. It gets around the obstacles that stand in the way of your cryptocurrencies by utilizing revolutionary technologies. It finds a means to unlock your Bitcoin vault and give you access to your money again by using sophisticated algorithms and creative programming. You are truly a lifesaver in the digital world Jeanson James Ancheta wizard. Your swift and efficient recovery of my lost Bitcoin has lifted an immense burden off my shoulders. Thank you for your unparalleled expertise and professionalism. Jeanson James Ancheta wizard can be communicated through:email:(jeansonjamesanchetawizard62@gmail.com) or WhatsApp number: +44 (7440) 105166 or +44 (7506) 216101.

13. One of the primary reasons I detest the internet is because of online scammers. My mom fell victim to a fraud where the con artist obtained access to some of her personal information by hacking into all of her details. In order to help us recover control of her accounts and digital assets, we had to engage Redeemed Hacker Pro’s private investigators Support. Fortunately for us, this hacking agency (email: redeemed.h.p@consultant.com; website: redeemedhackerpro.wixsite.com/redeem-hacker-pro) helped us retrieve everything we had lost.

14. At last, a reliable and effective service I can rely on! I can only imagine how many people are struggling with crypto-related issues and are likely also unsure of their ability to find practical solutions. This is where Space Spy Recovery rightfully enters the picture as the best provider of the service, and their ability to help recover 550,000 EUROS that I lost due to online cryptocurrency theft clearly confirms their claim! Space Spy Recovery came to my rescue! Get in touch for free
    Email: soacespy@hackermail.com
    WhatsApp: +1 (458) 313 9075
    Telegram: @spacespy65
    Skype: live:.cid.2b75b0cf1ce9bf69