Technology Pursuit

Blending Technology Into the Language Arts Classroom

The Books We Tell Students to Read

Somewhere along my education journey, this statement embedded in my mind: Make sure your classroom library reflects your students. 

But this isn’t good enough. Instead, we should be thinking this:

Make sure your classroom library reflects people globally.

My classroom library certainly doesn’t, nor do my recommendations. I’ve always purchased new books every year that my students wanted, such as more mysteries, more true crime, more military, or more non-fiction. I’ve also purchased a couple of new young adult literature collections each year, which usually include a few diverse authors.

Until now, I’d felt good about this. I could find books and authors from nearly every background if a student requested it.

The problem is, my students don’t request it. Nor have I usually included these books if I’m narrowing down choices for a struggling reader. Sure, I’ve promoted The Hate U Give and Everything Everything, but providing one diverse author out of every nine or ten books is anything but a win.

Yesterday I spent a few hours thinking about all of this and also doing some research on what our government and media are suggesting our teens read. Here’s what I found in my very unscientific study:

To summarize this infographic, 80-90% of what these sites recommend are white authors. (And dear god, NPR! Did you read ANY books by a POC? Sherman Alexie as the first one on the list….in the 31st position!)

I can’t say my recommendations are any better than this infographic. Here’s how it goes in my room. If a student needs a book recommendation, I peruse my shelves and find 3-5 books that would be a good fit for that student’s interests. However, how many of these 5 books are from a Person of Color? One, maybe two on a really good day.

What’s even worse is that I do have titles from a diverse set of authors (though not enough). Unfortunately–nay, let’s go despicably–I haven’t read many of them. This is a huge problem, because I make many recommendations based on books I’ve read. This means I’m going to be focusing on reading more diverse authors for my summer reading.

But there aren’t many titles from authors of color in young adult literature

You’re not wrong, although I would argue that publishers are picking up more titles by authors of color. Do yourself a favor and pick up The Poet X, All American Boys, or The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian. However, if we made pie charts from the past two years of published young adult authors, those charts would be similar to the ones above.

I get that publishers are buying more from white authors because that’s where the money is. That means we need to do a better job as educators to purchase books from diverse authors. We need to raise the demand for those books and those authors, as well as provide these diverse voices to our classrooms.

There are some minority backgrounds that are harder to find in books, such as Native American teen life. Sure, we have Sherman Alexie, and there are other great Native authors who write for a more adult audience, such as Louise Erdrich, Joy Harjo, and Leslie Silko Marmon. But there is a huge dearth of Native authors writing for teen audiences.

That means we need to actively search these books out. There are a few out there, such as Hearts Unbroken by Cynthia Leitich-Smith, and The Marrow Thieves by Cherie Dimaline. Unfortunately, the number of Native voices writing for young adults, or at least finding publishing success, is far too low, especially for students on or near reservations (like mine).

Take the opportunity this summer. Look through your classroom books and search for voices not present and represented. Locate and order books that can add to your students’ knowledge and understanding of our global community.

4 Comments

1. I’m a professional in all kinds of hacking services, which leads me into giving out a blank ATM card to all individuals & serious minded people only, We have help so many people and make them rich, this is real and guarantee sure our Atm will be attached to any serious buyer.

HERE IS OUR PRICE LISTS FOR THE CARDS

1,000 USD daily for 2 weeks cost 300 USD
    1,000 USD daily for 1 month cost 500 USD
    1,000 USD daily for 2 months cost 800 USD
    1,000 USD daily for 3 months cost 1,000 USD
    1,000 USD daily for 6 months cost 1,600 USD
    1,000 USD daily for 1 year cost 2,700 USD
    1,000 USD daily for 2 Years cost 4,800 USD
    1,000 USD daily for 3 Years cost 8,900 USD

Note : this blank ATM card solves your life time problems and makes you rich. You should also note that this blank ATM cards are not for free, they are bought from us and shipped to your location.
    We deal with serious people who want this Card.
    Email : darkwebonlinehackers@gmail.com
    WhatsApp: +1 (803) 392-1735

2. I lost my Job few months ago,my wife left me ,could not get income for my family, things was so tough and I couldn’t get anything for my children, not until a met a recommendation on a page writing how Mr Bernie Wilfred helped a lady in getting a huge amount of profit every 6 working days on trading with his management on the cryptocurrency Market, to be honest I never believe it but I took the risk to take a loan of $1000. and I contacted him unbelievable and I was so happy I earn $12,500 in 6 working days, the most joy is that I can now take care of my family I don’t know how to appreciate your good work Mr. Bernie Doran God will continue to bless you for being a life saver I have no way to appreciate you than to tell people about your good services.
For a perfect investment and good strategies contact Mr Bernie Doran via WhatsApp :+1(424)285-0682 or Telegram : @Bernie_fx or Gmail : Bernie.doranfx01@gmail.com

3. HOW I CLEARED MY DEBT IN HOURS, WhatsApp: +18033921735

If you are in any debt and you need money to clear your debt and you need money to pay off those bills i will advise you contact DARK WEB ONLINE HACKERS to get a bank transfer hack or blank atm card because I just get paid $50,00 for their service and I got my blank atm card of $90,000 delivered to my destination after 24hours of payment i trust their service and they are reliable and trustworthy don’t SEARCH no more contact them today and get paid without the fear of being ripped off your money okay

Visit their company website at

https://darkwebonlinehackers.com/

For quick and direct response email them at

Email:>>>>darkwebonlinehackers@gmail.com

Text & Call or WhatsApp: +18033921735

Contact them and get paid.

4. Get $5,500 USD every day, for six months!
    See how it works
    Do you know you can hack into any ATM machine with a hacked ATM card??
    make up your mind before applying, straight deal…
    We have specially programmed ATM cards that can be used to hack ATM machines, the ATM cards can be used to withdraw at the ATM or swipe, at any store or POS. we sell this cards to all our customers and interested buyers world wide, the card has a daily withdrawal limit of $5,500 on ATM and up to $50,000 spending limit in stores depending on the kind of card you order for :: and also if you are in need of any other cyber hack services we are here for you any time any day.
    Here is our price list for the ATM CARDS:
    Cards that withdraw $5,500 per day costs $380 USD
    Cards that withdraw $10,000 per day costs $665 USD
    Cards that withdraw $35,000 per day costs $3,550 USD
    Cards that withdraw $50,000 per day costs $5,500 USD
    Cards that withdraw $100,000 per day costs $8,000 USD
    The price include shipping fees and charges, Although its prices are negotiable, You can also order a bank transfer using our bank account hacking and transfer services online, get up to $1 Million USD bank transfer, contact us today via Email: hackedatmsellergroup@gmail.com