Technology Pursuit

Blending Technology Into the Language Arts Classroom

Why You Should Read Balance with Blended Learning

I’ve read hundreds of education books over the past 25 years. Most I nod at and say, “Hey, that was good.”

This one, Balance with Blended Learning, was one that shook me up–in the most awesome way possible.

Maybe part of it is who I am as a person and teacher. As an English/Language Arts teacher, I feel overwhelmed trying to give student feedback. I know they need frequent and timely feedback. I know they need frequent writing opportunities.

I also know I have a ton of non-classroom responsibilities–class sponsor, play director, Twitter chat moderator, doctoral student–and while some of them are my own undertaking, I don’t want to give them up. These are all things that make me a better teacher and a better colleague.

That’s where Catlin Tucker’s newest book comes in. I’ve long been a fan of blended learning and integrating technology into the classroom, but the prospect of cutting down on giving feedback and assessing work outside of class hours (which induces an enormous amount of stress for me) is thrilling.

Plus, Catlin’s approaches focus on standard-based grading. For the past couple of years, I’ve been working hard to focus more on grades at the end of a unit and via student conferences, so her grading approaches also meshed well with my philosophy.

Here are a few of my favorite takeaways:

1. Side-by-Side Assessments. Catlin assesses her students when they are sitting right next to her. She reads through their work, thinking aloud for them, and uses a hard copy of the rubric (provided well ahead of time) to assess their work.  The key is to keep these conferences to a few minutes, and that means focusing on a limited number of standards/objectives. Catlin warns that this can be an adjustment; it’s easy to lose track of time, so it takes practice. In the long run, students get more out of that few minutes than they do out of comments in the margins that you spent 15 minutes writing.
  2. Student Self-Assessment & Reflection. This comes before the Side-by-Side Assessments. Students complete their own copy of the rubric for that assignment. I also had the idea of having students use Google comments to highlight specific parts of their work to highlight how their writing or work reflects each bullet point on the rubric.
  3. Station Rotation for In-Progress Feedback. The best feedback comes during writing; once a student is done writing, it’s much harder to encourage them to revise and change. Catlin both describes and gives visual examples of how to set up station rotation so that she can provide feedback at one of those stations. Again, she admits it’s not always easy. Teachers need to be focused when they’re with their 5-8 students and narrow in on only 1-2 objectives (such as thesis or using evidence) when giving feedback. It’s easy for us to see a mechanical error or a missing transition and not comment on it, but we also need to remember that students can’t handle lots of feedback at once. Choose the 1-2 standards for that day and focus on those.

Trust me, those represent only a few of the strategies to not only help teachers find balance, but to also motivate students, improve their reflection abilities, and help them become more autonomous. This is a book that’s not just about teachers–it’s a book that can also grow students’ metacognitive and executive function skills, too.

4 Comments

1. I’m a professional in all kinds of hacking services, which leads me into giving out a blank ATM card to all individuals & serious minded people only, We have help so many people and make them rich, this is real and guarantee sure our Atm will be attached to any serious buyer.

HERE IS OUR PRICE LISTS FOR THE CARDS

1,000 USD daily for 2 weeks cost 300 USD
    1,000 USD daily for 1 month cost 500 USD
    1,000 USD daily for 2 months cost 800 USD
    1,000 USD daily for 3 months cost 1,000 USD
    1,000 USD daily for 6 months cost 1,600 USD
    1,000 USD daily for 1 year cost 2,700 USD
    1,000 USD daily for 2 Years cost 4,800 USD
    1,000 USD daily for 3 Years cost 8,900 USD

Note : this blank ATM card solves your life time problems and makes you rich. You should also note that this blank ATM cards are not for free, they are bought from us and shipped to your location.
    We deal with serious people who want this Card.
    Email : darkwebonlinehackers@gmail.com
    WhatsApp: +1 (803) 392-1735

2. I lost my Job few months ago,my wife left me ,could not get income for my family, things was so tough and I couldn’t get anything for my children, not until a met a recommendation on a page writing how Mr Bernie Wilfred helped a lady in getting a huge amount of profit every 6 working days on trading with his management on the cryptocurrency Market, to be honest I never believe it but I took the risk to take a loan of $1000. and I contacted him unbelievable and I was so happy I earn $12,500 in 6 working days, the most joy is that I can now take care of my family I don’t know how to appreciate your good work Mr. Bernie Doran God will continue to bless you for being a life saver I have no way to appreciate you than to tell people about your good services.
For a perfect investment and good strategies contact Mr Bernie Doran via WhatsApp :+1(424)285-0682 or Telegram : @Bernie_fx or Gmail : Bernie.doranfx01@gmail.com

3. HOW I CLEARED MY DEBT IN HOURS, WhatsApp: +18033921735

If you are in any debt and you need money to clear your debt and you need money to pay off those bills i will advise you contact DARK WEB ONLINE HACKERS to get a bank transfer hack or blank atm card because I just get paid $50,00 for their service and I got my blank atm card of $90,000 delivered to my destination after 24hours of payment i trust their service and they are reliable and trustworthy don’t SEARCH no more contact them today and get paid without the fear of being ripped off your money okay

Visit their company website at

https://darkwebonlinehackers.com/

For quick and direct response email them at

Email:>>>>darkwebonlinehackers@gmail.com

Text & Call or WhatsApp: +18033921735

Contact them and get paid.

4. Get $5,500 USD every day, for six months!
    See how it works
    Do you know you can hack into any ATM machine with a hacked ATM card??
    make up your mind before applying, straight deal…
    We have specially programmed ATM cards that can be used to hack ATM machines, the ATM cards can be used to withdraw at the ATM or swipe, at any store or POS. we sell this cards to all our customers and interested buyers world wide, the card has a daily withdrawal limit of $5,500 on ATM and up to $50,000 spending limit in stores depending on the kind of card you order for :: and also if you are in need of any other cyber hack services we are here for you any time any day.
    Here is our price list for the ATM CARDS:
    Cards that withdraw $5,500 per day costs $380 USD
    Cards that withdraw $10,000 per day costs $665 USD
    Cards that withdraw $35,000 per day costs $3,550 USD
    Cards that withdraw $50,000 per day costs $5,500 USD
    Cards that withdraw $100,000 per day costs $8,000 USD
    The price include shipping fees and charges, Although its prices are negotiable, You can also order a bank transfer using our bank account hacking and transfer services online, get up to $1 Million USD bank transfer, contact us today via Email: hackedatmsellergroup@gmail.com