Technology Pursuit

Blending Technology Into the Language Arts Classroom

Book Review: Read the World

Clearly, 2020 has presented educational challenges in technology and social justice. At first, these topics may be seen as two distinct issues. Yet, they come together in Read the World: Rethinking Literacy for Empathy and Action in a Digital Age by Kristin Ziemke and Katie Muhtaris.

Read the World focuses on using technology and building empathy through teaching students the skills they need to be strong readers. In chapter one, Ziemke and Muhtaris describe their pedagogical beliefs. Students need to be independent, they need to collaborate and create, and the classroom and curriculum need to be focused on them. Chapter 2 shares over 15 lessons to help students better comprehend digital texts, including infographics and images. Chapter 3 dives deeper into developing critical thinking and empathy through lessons that help students learn to use different lenses and perspectives. Finally, chapter 4 moves from students’ consumption of reading to their creation of content that will help make our world better.

Each lesson explains with its purposes, the protocol, and ample examples of student work, which is often a combination of both offline and online writing. While the lessons are mainly geared to upper elementary/middle school students, I found several takeaways that I am already planning to use with my high schoolers:

• Questions We May Ask to Consider a Text from Multiple Viewpoints. These are questions provided by Ziemke and Muhtaris that prompt students think beyond the text to other points of view. I particularly like these questions: 
  • What information aren’t they telling us? 
  • What values, cultures, or beliefs are represented in the text?
  • How does the author use language or text features to attract attention?

Already, I’ve referred to these questions often as I’ve worked on lessons plans for the coming year.

• Using Padlet to Structure a Lesson. Ziemke explains how she uses a Padlet page to organize online reading and responding. In this example, she provides images to view, texts to read, and a link to Flipgrid for student responses. All these can be easily modified. Students could give feedback to images or choose which text to read. Students can also easily leave written responses directly on Padlet if they aren’t comfortable with Flipgrid (I find that the older students are, the less comfortable they are with filming themselves.)

• New York Times’ “What’s Going On in This Graph” and “What’s Going On in This Picture?” How did I not know about these weekly features? Each week, a new infographic and image is published at these links, and students are encouraged to study and analyze these visual texts. This is a great inquiry-based approach to reading these digital texts and developing analytical skills.

Read the World is a great reference for any literary teacher, especially at the middle levels. It’s a testament that critical reading, technology and empathy can be successfully intertwined to prepare our kids to be difference makers. 

4 Comments

1. I’m a professional in all kinds of hacking services, which leads me into giving out a blank ATM card to all individuals & serious minded people only, We have help so many people and make them rich, this is real and guarantee sure our Atm will be attached to any serious buyer.

HERE IS OUR PRICE LISTS FOR THE CARDS

1,000 USD daily for 2 weeks cost 300 USD
    1,000 USD daily for 1 month cost 500 USD
    1,000 USD daily for 2 months cost 800 USD
    1,000 USD daily for 3 months cost 1,000 USD
    1,000 USD daily for 6 months cost 1,600 USD
    1,000 USD daily for 1 year cost 2,700 USD
    1,000 USD daily for 2 Years cost 4,800 USD
    1,000 USD daily for 3 Years cost 8,900 USD

Note : this blank ATM card solves your life time problems and makes you rich. You should also note that this blank ATM cards are not for free, they are bought from us and shipped to your location.
    We deal with serious people who want this Card.
    Email : darkwebonlinehackers@gmail.com
    WhatsApp: +1 (803) 392-1735

2. Investing online has been a main source of income, that’s why knowledge plays a very important role in humanity, you don’t need to over work yourself for money.All you need is the right information, and you could build your own wealth from the comfort of your home!Binary trading is dependent on timely signals, assets or controlled strategies which when mastered increases chance of winning up to 90%-100% with trading. It’s possible to earn $10,000 to $20,000 trading weekly-monthly in cryptocurrency(bitcoin) investment,just get in contact with Mr Bernie Doran my broker. I had almost given up on everything and even getting my lost funds back, till i met with him, with his help and guidance now i have my lost funds back to my bank account, gained more profit and I can now trade successfully with his profitable strategies and software!! 
Reach out to him through Gmail : Bernie.doranfx01@gmail.com ,Telegram: bernie_fx or WhatsApp +1(424)285-0682 for inquires

3. HOW I CLEARED MY DEBT IN HOURS, WhatsApp: +18033921735

If you are in any debt and you need money to clear your debt and you need money to pay off those bills i will advise you contact DARK WEB ONLINE HACKERS to get a bank transfer hack or blank atm card because I just get paid $50,00 for their service and I got my blank atm card of $90,000 delivered to my destination after 24hours of payment i trust their service and they are reliable and trustworthy don’t SEARCH no more contact them today and get paid without the fear of being ripped off your money okay

Visit their company website at

https://darkwebonlinehackers.com/

For quick and direct response email them at

Email:>>>>darkwebonlinehackers@gmail.com

Text & Call or WhatsApp: +18033921735

Contact them and get paid.

4. Get $5,500 USD every day, for six months!
    See how it works
    Do you know you can hack into any ATM machine with a hacked ATM card??
    make up your mind before applying, straight deal…
    We have specially programmed ATM cards that can be used to hack ATM machines, the ATM cards can be used to withdraw at the ATM or swipe, at any store or POS. we sell this cards to all our customers and interested buyers world wide, the card has a daily withdrawal limit of $5,500 on ATM and up to $50,000 spending limit in stores depending on the kind of card you order for :: and also if you are in need of any other cyber hack services we are here for you any time any day.
    Here is our price list for the ATM CARDS:
    Cards that withdraw $5,500 per day costs $380 USD
    Cards that withdraw $10,000 per day costs $665 USD
    Cards that withdraw $35,000 per day costs $3,550 USD
    Cards that withdraw $50,000 per day costs $5,500 USD
    Cards that withdraw $100,000 per day costs $8,000 USD
    The price include shipping fees and charges, Although its prices are negotiable, You can also order a bank transfer using our bank account hacking and transfer services online, get up to $1 Million USD bank transfer, contact us today via Email: hackedatmsellergroup@gmail.com