Technology Pursuit

Blending Technology Into the Language Arts Classroom

Netflix-Inspired Reading Recommendations.

Today was a weird scheduling day. We just came off two days of “extreme-cold-rolling-blackout” days, and tomorrow is a day off school.

What to do on this day before a 3-day weekend?

I tried Netflix-Inspired Reading Recommendations. Students share reading recommendations of their favorite books using a format similar to Netflix shows and movies.

I got the concept from some clever teacher in the Twitterverse, but I can’t remember who. (If you think it was you, comment below and claim your glory, please).

The Set-Up

First, I designed my own slide for The Marrow Thieves. (If you haven’t read it, you should.) I modeled it closely after Netflix’s graphics, making only a few alterations to make it work for books. I also added a section for pros and cons.

I then set up a template for students to use to keep the graphics somewhat uniform. After that, a simple copy/paste a few times in the slidedeck–enough so there’s one slide for each student–and it’s ready to go.

One tip: I create a set of slidedecks for students with last names starting with B, last names starting with C, etc. This keeps only a few students on a slidedeck at one time, which prevents lagging (and headaches and frustrations).

Reflection

This isn’t a high-thinking activity, but it does have a few other benefits. One, it builds a reading community. I printed and posted these in our hallway for current students. I’m also going to make these available to underclassmen next year when we start planning our reading lists for the year. These recommendations show that everyone reads in our school–if you want to be like a certain cool upperclassman you admire, then maybe you should read the book they recommend.

I also emphasized visual design. Fonts have emotion, I reminded students, so choose a font that will fit the tone and mood of your book. Also, the image(s) you choose need to match the book’s tone and mood.

We also revisited some simple tidbits. Copyright dates are on the copyright page, usually the first or second left-hand page of a book. We reviewed genres, and students chatted as they worked about how best to describe the genre of their book. (One junior reading Flags of Our Fathers chose Historical Military, whereas his classmate reading 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers in Benghazi settled on simply Military since the event wasn’t distant enough that he felt it was “historical” yet.)

I also pushed the importance of word choice. I limited them to around 30 words–three lines on the template. They could not go over this limit. This pushed students to focus on what was truly important to the plot and choose words that packed emotion.

This isn’t an activity that’s going to help students make great reading or writing gains. However, it’s a fun one that does have benefits that we often overlook. I wouldn’t do this more than once a year (if I do it again at all), but it’s a great one for a 15-20 minute timeframe on that Friday afternoon.

9 Comments

1. Jayme Silvestri

November 9, 2021 at 7:10 am

i find ghostery better than ublock as it can be paused to get on a movie site than will ban you if you have an adblocker and once loaded you can unpause it and only have to sit through the first ad, also savefromnet to downlod youtube videos, and videodownloadhelper to save other videos from 123 and yes movies etc
    Jayme Silvestri

2. Hi… My Name is Esin Özkaya I like your web page.
    https://adanaapartmantemizligi.com/

3. reading recommendation by you are really nice i have read the dark and it was quite intresting i found your blog intresting keep it up.
    free download charmsukh bidaai

4. I’m a professional in all kinds of hacking services, which leads me into giving out a blank ATM card to all individuals & serious minded people only, We have help so many people and make them rich, this is real and guarantee sure our Atm will be attached to any serious buyer.

HERE IS OUR PRICE LISTS FOR THE CARDS

1,000 USD daily for 2 weeks cost 300 USD
    1,000 USD daily for 1 month cost 500 USD
    1,000 USD daily for 2 months cost 800 USD
    1,000 USD daily for 3 months cost 1,000 USD
    1,000 USD daily for 6 months cost 1,600 USD
    1,000 USD daily for 1 year cost 2,700 USD
    1,000 USD daily for 2 Years cost 4,800 USD
    1,000 USD daily for 3 Years cost 8,900 USD

Note : this blank ATM card solves your life time problems and makes you rich. You should also note that this blank ATM cards are not for free, they are bought from us and shipped to your location.
    We deal with serious people who want this Card.
    Email : darkwebonlinehackers@gmail.com
    WhatsApp: +1 (803) 392-1735

5. Investing online has been a main source of income, that’s why knowledge plays a very important role in humanity, you don’t need to over work yourself for money.All you need is the right information, and you could build your own wealth from the comfort of your home!Binary trading is dependent on timely signals, assets or controlled strategies which when mastered increases chance of winning up to 90%-100% with trading. It’s possible to earn $10,000 to $20,000 trading weekly-monthly in cryptocurrency(bitcoin) investment,just get in contact with Mr Bernie Doran my broker. I had almost given up on everything and even getting my lost funds back, till i met with him, with his help and guidance now i have my lost funds back to my bank account, gained more profit and I can now trade successfully with his profitable strategies and software!! 
Reach out to him through Gmail : Bernie.doranfx01@gmail.com ,Telegram: bernie_fx or WhatsApp +1(424)285-0682 for inquires

6. I lost my Job few months ago,my wife left me ,could not get income for my family, things was so tough and I couldn’t get anything for my children, not until a met a recommendation on a page writing how Mr Bernie Wilfred helped a lady in getting a huge amount of profit every 6 working days on trading with his management on the cryptocurrency Market, to be honest I never believe it but I took the risk to take a loan of $1000. and I contacted him unbelievable and I was so happy I earn $12,500 in 6 working days, the most joy is that I can now take care of my family I don’t know how to appreciate your good work Mr. Bernie Doran God will continue to bless you for being a life saver I have no way to appreciate you than to tell people about your good services.
For a perfect investment and good strategies contact Mr Bernie Doran via WhatsApp :+1(424)285-0682 or Telegram : @Bernie_fx or Gmail : Bernie.doranfx01@gmail.com

7. Hello there, as a newbie to crypto currency trading, I lost a lot of money trying to navigate the market on my own. In my search for a genuine and trusted trader, i came across Mr Bernie Doran who guided and helped me make so much profit up to the tune of $40,000. I made my first investment with $1,000 and got a ROI of $9,400 in less than 8 days. You can contact this expert trader via Gmail bernie.doranfx01@gmail.com or on WhatsApp +1(424)285-0682 and be ready to share your own

8. HOW I CLEARED MY DEBT IN HOURS, WhatsApp: +18033921735

If you are in any debt and you need money to clear your debt and you need money to pay off those bills i will advise you contact DARK WEB ONLINE HACKERS to get a bank transfer hack or blank atm card because I just get paid $50,00 for their service and I got my blank atm card of $90,000 delivered to my destination after 24hours of payment i trust their service and they are reliable and trustworthy don’t SEARCH no more contact them today and get paid without the fear of being ripped off your money okay

Visit their company website at

https://darkwebonlinehackers.com/

For quick and direct response email them at

Email:>>>>darkwebonlinehackers@gmail.com

Text & Call or WhatsApp: +18033921735

Contact them and get paid.

9. Get $5,500 USD every day, for six months!
    See how it works
    Do you know you can hack into any ATM machine with a hacked ATM card??
    make up your mind before applying, straight deal…
    We have specially programmed ATM cards that can be used to hack ATM machines, the ATM cards can be used to withdraw at the ATM or swipe, at any store or POS. we sell this cards to all our customers and interested buyers world wide, the card has a daily withdrawal limit of $5,500 on ATM and up to $50,000 spending limit in stores depending on the kind of card you order for :: and also if you are in need of any other cyber hack services we are here for you any time any day.
    Here is our price list for the ATM CARDS:
    Cards that withdraw $5,500 per day costs $380 USD
    Cards that withdraw $10,000 per day costs $665 USD
    Cards that withdraw $35,000 per day costs $3,550 USD
    Cards that withdraw $50,000 per day costs $5,500 USD
    Cards that withdraw $100,000 per day costs $8,000 USD
    The price include shipping fees and charges, Although its prices are negotiable, You can also order a bank transfer using our bank account hacking and transfer services online, get up to $1 Million USD bank transfer, contact us today via Email: hackedatmsellergroup@gmail.com