Technology Pursuit

Blending Technology Into the Language Arts Classroom

Review: An Indigenous Peoples’ History of the United States

This summer I have a renewed focus to not only increase the number of diverse titles in my classroom library but also become more familiar with those titles. After all, if we don’t haven’t read a book, it’s pretty hard to which students it will appeal to. Let’s start with this worthy addition to any humanities classroom.

Title: An Indigenous Peoples’ History of the United States (This is an Amazon link. I get nothing if you buy it. In fact, you’ll earn a lot more street cred if you buy it from your local bookstore.)                             

Author: Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz; adapted by Jean Mendoza and Debbie Reese

Publisher: Beacon Press

Date of Publication: 2019

Genre: Non-fiction

Ethnic Representation: Indigenous Peoples

In the original book, Dunbar-Ortiz traces the history of the United States, albeit through an Indigenous lens, and Mendoza and Reese adapt and condense the book to make it more accessible to YA audiences. The book begins at the Europeans’ arrival in the Americas and continues through the gradual removal and destruction of Indigenous peoples as the white settlers claimed land across the continent. The authors lay clear many of the facts that are glossed over in traditional history textbooks, such as the pope’s Doctrine of Discovery to declare the Christian “right” to claim new lands for Christians, the devious plans of Jefferson to transform Natives into farmers and bankrupt them, and the torturous treatment of Indigenous peoples in the southwest by the church missions. The book ends with descriptions of protests and social activism, including the American Indian Movement and the Standing Rock protests.

Although I’ve taken several classes in American Indian literature, much of the information supplied in this book was not only new but downright shocking. Perhaps I was taught the Doctrine of Discovery in high school, but I’m fairly certain there was no discussion of the immoral use of religion as a way to claim inhabited lands. I’m also aware of Jefferson’s troubling ownership and use of enslaved people but not of his hushed plans to eliminate Natives through bankruptcy.

The destruction and genocide of Indigenous peoples continue throughout the book, and the authors not only remind readers of the events, but they provide extra information that impacts the context of the events. For example, most US citizens are well aware that the Second Amendment in the right to bear arms and form a militia; however, the authors point out that the purpose of a militia was not only to fight the British, but also to track down escaped Blacks and to murder Indigenous peoples. Extra information such as this is threaded throughout the writing, not just surprising me but also shocking me with the brazenness of white politicians of the time. The authors also provide examples of euphemistic language used by politicians to assuage concerns of white citizens–who, sadly, didn’t need much comfort since they, as Christians, already felt their supremacy over the Indigenous due to the Church’s Doctrine of Discovery.

In addition to the main text, the book is replete with sidebars that provide more content and often prod student thinking even further. One sidebar explained Washington’s work as a surveyor and how this role led to the destruction of Indigenous villages. Another sidebar described the “client class” found in some southeast Indigenous nations, which were comprised of members of the nation who had special privileges due to their cooperation with the whites. It was often members of the “client class” that signed treaties, and they did not represent the rest of their nation. When appropriate, maps, sketches, and photographs are included with the text and sidebar to provide visuals to readers.

This isn’t going to be a book that appeals to every student. It’s going to be a book for students who are history buffs, passionate about social change, and/or interested in the life and strife of Indigenous peoples. This is also an important book for educators to read, especially social studies teachers and teachers of Native students (but really–all educators should read this.) There are many points during an American history curriculum where excerpts of this book can provide an alternate lens of how the destructive actions of people of European descent irreparably harmed the Indigenous peoples who had already created their own nations and civilizations on the continents.

4 Comments

1. I’m a professional in all kinds of hacking services, which leads me into giving out a blank ATM card to all individuals & serious minded people only, We have help so many people and make them rich, this is real and guarantee sure our Atm will be attached to any serious buyer.

HERE IS OUR PRICE LISTS FOR THE CARDS

1,000 USD daily for 2 weeks cost 300 USD
    1,000 USD daily for 1 month cost 500 USD
    1,000 USD daily for 2 months cost 800 USD
    1,000 USD daily for 3 months cost 1,000 USD
    1,000 USD daily for 6 months cost 1,600 USD
    1,000 USD daily for 1 year cost 2,700 USD
    1,000 USD daily for 2 Years cost 4,800 USD
    1,000 USD daily for 3 Years cost 8,900 USD

Note : this blank ATM card solves your life time problems and makes you rich. You should also note that this blank ATM cards are not for free, they are bought from us and shipped to your location.
    We deal with serious people who want this Card.
    Email : darkwebonlinehackers@gmail.com
    WhatsApp: +1 (803) 392-1735

2. I lost my Job few months ago,my wife left me ,could not get income for my family, things was so tough and I couldn’t get anything for my children, not until a met a recommendation on a page writing how Mr Bernie Wilfred helped a lady in getting a huge amount of profit every 6 working days on trading with his management on the cryptocurrency Market, to be honest I never believe it but I took the risk to take a loan of $1000. and I contacted him unbelievable and I was so happy I earn $12,500 in 6 working days, the most joy is that I can now take care of my family I don’t know how to appreciate your good work Mr. Bernie Doran God will continue to bless you for being a life saver I have no way to appreciate you than to tell people about your good services.
For a perfect investment and good strategies contact Mr Bernie Doran via WhatsApp :+1(424)285-0682 or Telegram : @Bernie_fx or Gmail : Bernie.doranfx01@gmail.com

3. HOW I CLEARED MY DEBT IN HOURS, WhatsApp: +18033921735

If you are in any debt and you need money to clear your debt and you need money to pay off those bills i will advise you contact DARK WEB ONLINE HACKERS to get a bank transfer hack or blank atm card because I just get paid $50,00 for their service and I got my blank atm card of $90,000 delivered to my destination after 24hours of payment i trust their service and they are reliable and trustworthy don’t SEARCH no more contact them today and get paid without the fear of being ripped off your money okay

Visit their company website at

https://darkwebonlinehackers.com/

For quick and direct response email them at

Email:>>>>darkwebonlinehackers@gmail.com

Text & Call or WhatsApp: +18033921735

Contact them and get paid.

4. Get $5,500 USD every day, for six months!
    See how it works
    Do you know you can hack into any ATM machine with a hacked ATM card??
    make up your mind before applying, straight deal…
    We have specially programmed ATM cards that can be used to hack ATM machines, the ATM cards can be used to withdraw at the ATM or swipe, at any store or POS. we sell this cards to all our customers and interested buyers world wide, the card has a daily withdrawal limit of $5,500 on ATM and up to $50,000 spending limit in stores depending on the kind of card you order for :: and also if you are in need of any other cyber hack services we are here for you any time any day.
    Here is our price list for the ATM CARDS:
    Cards that withdraw $5,500 per day costs $380 USD
    Cards that withdraw $10,000 per day costs $665 USD
    Cards that withdraw $35,000 per day costs $3,550 USD
    Cards that withdraw $50,000 per day costs $5,500 USD
    Cards that withdraw $100,000 per day costs $8,000 USD
    The price include shipping fees and charges, Although its prices are negotiable, You can also order a bank transfer using our bank account hacking and transfer services online, get up to $1 Million USD bank transfer, contact us today via Email: hackedatmsellergroup@gmail.com